Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pancake Days: Lying to Myself


I lied to myself today.  When I went to the store and saw how expensive real maple syrup was, I said "Emma, you can just eat your pancakes with butter and honey."  I came home and cooked myself some delicious apple-cinnamon pancake rings.  I drizzled a little honey on them.  I tried a bite.  I chewed.  I realized with dawning horror that the only real way to eat a pancake is with maple syrup.  I left my swiftly cooling apple-pancake rings on my desk as I ran to the store to buy that 5 Euro bottle of "Ahornsyrup."  You got me, pancake gods, I won't tempt you again.

Assuming that you have real maple syrup (or are close enough to a store to try tempting fate like I did: not recommended) here's the recipe I used for maple-cinnamon apple rings.



Ingredients
-2 medium apples or 1 large apple, cored and cut into rings (I didn't core mine, because the core doesn't bother me)
-1/2 cup whole-wheat flour (I used an oat/seed blended one)
-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1/4 tsp. baking soda
-1 egg
-1/2 cup milk mixed with a little bit of vinegar or lemon juice (or buttermilk, but who has that sitting around?)
-Splash of honey
-Dash of cinnamon

Heat a non-stick skillet (the non-stick part is SUPER important when it comes to pancakes) over medium heat. Mix all your ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and lump-free.  Cut your apple into 5-7 thick-ish rings.  Dip the apple rings into your batter and allow any excess to drip off.  Cook your apples until bubbles appear, then flip and cook quickly on the other side.  Since these aren't true pancakes, they don't have to cook very long.

Serve warm with cinnamon and maple syrup.  Don't be like me.


No comments:

Post a Comment