Friday, July 20, 2012

Lemon Almond Pancakes


Last time I made gluten-free pancakes, they were pretty gross.  Rubbery, flat, and 100% blah.  After making both cookies and cake from almond flour, I realized I really liked the stuff.  My last almond-flour pancake experiment was also semi-successful, so I had a good idea it might work.  To "replace" the gluten (what keeps regular wheat pancakes together) I used a lot of eggs -4, in fact.

I came up with this recipe.  It's not perfect yet, but the best GF recipe I've tried.  Simple, too, because it doesn't use an abundance of gums and blends and extras.  The only big thing I'd change is fiddling about to reduce one of the eggs.  These were quite eggy.



Lemon Almond Pancakes

-1/2 cup almond flour
-1 tbs. GF flour mix (or any type of GF/non-GF flour) -use coconut flour to make it paleo
-1/2 tsp. baking powder (I used a full one because German baking powder is not double-acting)
-Pinch salt
-4 eggs (mine were small, if you use large eggs, three is probably enough)
-1 (scant) tbs. honey
-2 tbs. yogurt (I used fat free, but any type would work)
-1 tbs. lemon juice (I like my pancakes really lemony)
-1 tsp. lemon zest (or the zest of one small lemon)

Mix the flours, baking powder, and salt until combined.  Set aside.  Beat the eggs, honey, yogurt, and lemon juice together.  Whisk into the flours until smooth.  If your pancake batter is too thick, add a little more yogurt.  If it's too thin, add a little more GF flour.  Pour a small amount of pancake batter into a nonstick pan or well-greased skillet.  These pancakes don't flip very easily when large, so try your best to keep them small (about 5 inches in diameter).  Cook until bubbles appear all over and then flip quickly.  Cook just a little while longer on the other side.

Serve hot with butter, maple syrup, jam, nutella, fruit, yogurt, honey, or any other way you like.  
 
Makes 5-8 Pancakes, depending on the size.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment