Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Emma Blessed

I remember the first time I heard the phrase "If you want God to laugh, make plans." I decided that God would never laugh at me because we were always going to have the same ones anyway.

My whole life was filled with grand dreams and even sometimes very specific plans about my future. I was going to work for my church in Boston, cuddling up under a hand-knit blanket in my cute Cambridge loft on the weekends. I was going to start a farm with a sweet kitschy name in rural Vermont, sun-browned and happy, harvesting berries every evening to enjoy on home-cultured yogurt for the next morning's breakfast. Then that farm was going to move to some impoverished urban setting, like Detroit, where I'd introduce local kids to the wonders of tomatoes. Then I was going to get my foot in the door with the government in DC, spending late nights in my tiny office, feeding off the incredible energy surrounding me. Then I was going to study something official-sounding like economics at university in Berlin, while my posh, metrosexual German boyfriend (a blond, named Lars or Jan) read Hegel by candlelight on the opposite end of the couch.

Clearly God and I have been on the same page every step of the way.

The last six months of my life have involved a number of gifts greater than I imagined. From faith to friendship to health to growth, I have been richly blessed. I am looking forward to sharing the story in person.

But before then, I have a major announcement:

After five months here in Hamburg, I'm excited to share that I've accepted my first full-time job in the social media field. I will be returning to the United States this Christmas to move into my first apartment in the city I never gave daydream stage-time to:


This is not the career I imagined. Not the home I imagined. But like the other joys that snuck up on me when I wasn't looking, I'm confident that this will be better than anything else I could have planned.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! We are SO happy for you and your family. We just love this announcement and can't wait to get in on more news. Thank you so much Emma for sharing this very happy update and direction. Love you!! Can you guess who?

    ReplyDelete