Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Berries and Cream Hat (Free Pattern!)



I was on the train the other day heading into the city when I saw it. The hat of all hats. The hat of my dreams.

But it was with someone else :(

I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I began frantically Googling to find my own. I'm also not ashamed to admit that I considered calling my Chinese-speaking boyfriend so he could ask the woman where she got it. I am slightly ashamed to admit that when she dropped her hat, it took me a second to alert her because I almost hoped she'd forget it and I could rescue it from subway abandonment.

Hey, the heart wants what the heart wants. Sometimes love is irrational.

I had no success on the Googling front, and quickly came to my senses and decided not to accost the poor woman with questions or steal her hat by "forgetting" to mention she'd dropped it. I'm a hat lover, not a criminal!

Determined to make the hat of my dreams a reality, I devised a simple pattern. It turns out that the seeded rib stitch that is wildly popular for chunky hats this year is super easy. So I made my own in two evenings. And if this hat is the hat of your dreams, you can too!




Chunky Seeded Rib Hat
1 skein chunky yarn (I used Tosh Chunky in "Espadrilles")
Oddments of yarn for the pompom (I used Cascade Superwash in "Cream")
Size 8 straight needles
8 stitch markers

Cast on 80 stitches and work in 2x2 ribbing until the piece measures 6 inches from the cast on edge. On the final row of ribbing, increase by kfb 2 times at the beginning and once at the end of the row (total of 83 stitches)*. Switch to seed rib stitch:

*To knit in seed rib, you must have a multiple of 4 stitches + 3

Row 1: Knit 3, *Purl 1, Knit 3* Repeat from *to* to the end of the row.
Row 2: Knit 1, *Purl 1, Knit 3* Repeat from *to* to the last two stitches, Purl 1, Knit 1

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until hat measures 9.5 inches from cast-on edge.

Begin your decreases.
Setup Row: *Work 17 in pattern, Place Marker, Work 3 in pattern, Place Marker* repeat from *to* to the end of the row
Row 1: Work in pattern until the last 2 stitches before each marker, Knit or Purl two together (in pattern). Work 3 in pattern. Slip marker. Knit or purl two together (in pattern)
Row 2: Work pattern for all stitches.

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until 11 stitches remain. Thread tail through the stitches and tighten firmly. Sew seam using the invisible method. Attach pompom to the top of the hat and sew firmly in place.


1 comment:

  1. Hi there! If I just didn't want the 2x2 rib, I could just start the seed rib stitch from the get go, right? as long as cast on is multiple of 4 +3.

    Thanks! Please keep in touch on ravelry. My user name is: kceciliaa
    I'm using your stitch instructions as a basic guide but then making my own pattern for the entire hat. Would love to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete