Sunday, February 22, 2015

Gluten Free Chocolate (Pudding) Mug Cake



As a person on a dessert, dollar, and time budget, and as someone in a relationship with a dessert disliker, I've baked pretty much nothing in the past few months. The amount of bubble tea within walking distance from my apartment and the regular presence of chocolate at grad school (thanks, Professor B!) has left me pretty much satisfied. That said, F out of town for the weekend and a Law and Order marathon on ION pretty much require chocolate cake.

What's a girl to do?

My previous microwave mug cake experiments have been ok, but have never wowed me. They've always come out just short of perfect. A little too rubbery and dense. Kinda ugly. The mug and microwave you use make a huge difference. The microwave cakes I made with my old recipe in my old apartment came out really well. Here, not so much.

I needed a cake that would stand up to the trauma of being microwaved without seizing up into a brick. I was not going to frost it, so it needed to be gooey, but not underbaked and oily. To find something that fit the bill, I thought back to my favorite cakes of childhood. And one stood out: chocolate pudding cake!

I decided to try my hand at making a microwave version, and it was a huge success. The gooey chocolate pudding moistened the lightly sweet cake and made for a home-baked flavored, indulgent treat that wasn't overwhelmingly sweet.


Cake
2.5 tbs brown rice flour*
1.5 tbs potato starch
1/4 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
1 tbs cocoa powder
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs oil or butter
1/4 tsp vanilla
3 tbs cream or milk

Sauce
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs cocoa powder
1/4 cup boiling water

Whisky your dry ingredients together, and then add the wet ingredients. Mix to combine. I mixed the cake batter in a separate bowl and then poured it into my mug because I wanted to make sure everything got really thoroughly mixed. You can do the whole thing in the mug, if you prefer. In a separate bowl or mug, mix the remaining cocoa powder, remaining sugar, and the 1/4 cup boiling water with a fork until smooth and combined. Pour sauce mixture on top of cake. Microwave the pudding cake for 1.5-2 minutes. Let cool for a minute before digging in. Be careful, the pudding will be extremely hot!

*Like me, you may be tempted to experiment with the flour blend and/or just use whatever you have on hand. This is probably fine, with one exception. DO NOT use a blend that includes xantham or guar gum. This will make your finished cake taste like a rubber band.

No comments:

Post a Comment